Friday 28 March 2014

The Gay Thing

I've had a rough couple of days.

The World Vision US stand has caused a huge ripple through christendom and has created something of a division. Its almost as if the lines are being drawn and all out war is about to ensue.

I've experienced first hand, the wrath of conservatives over anything pro gay. I've tried to engage in reasonable discussions and look at things a little more objectively. I've been passionate, patient, forceful and downright abusive at times.

Its taken its toll, especially after the last one today who glibly informed me (after I had shared my heart with as much integrity as I know) that my entire life was a farce, a fraud, and I was deluded and full of bull shit.

So here I am sharing some of that pain, and realising that fundamentalist christianity is possibly one of the most evil cults this world has seen.

I have been stunned by the level of blind arrogance and pig headed dogma these people display. Sure I've had run ins with religion most of my life, more so lately. But the "gay issue" is bringing the redneck spirit out of the woodwork for all to see.

The thing is, I'm not sure that christianity as such, has much to do with it, except that it provides an effective cover for personal agendas. These people have found a religious system that supports their personal biases and bigotries, and a book that can be manipulated to support whatever they see fit.

I'm feeling reactionary after all this, but its been stirring for a long time. I hate religion! Yeah, most of us do, but I mean christian religion in all its forms. I mean the traditional evangelical type of christianity. I mean 90% of all churches and the doctrines they preach. I mean those christian books you find in christian shops and christian music they sell in christian concerts and christian conferences full of christians trying to be more christian.

It makes me sick.

At least Islam doesn't beat around the bush, you know where you stand! But evangelical christianity is a snake of subtle deception waiting to suck the life out of you, under the guise of making you a better person. I know there are millions of sincere people in that system who care and love as best they can, so I'm not dissing them.

I'm talking about every doctrine and ideal, theological assumption, traditions, structures, methodologies, all of it. I hate it. Really I do.

I go to a little gay friendly Anglican church every so often. Wonderful loving people. But the service sends me spare! The doctrines they spew out make me cringe. I have to drag myself there and suffer through it all just to spend some time with these beautiful people! What a rip off!

Yeah, maybe I've lost it. Maybe I'm throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but I don't really care any more. The small amount of real life left in those places isn't enough for me to endorse in any form.

Here's the strange thing though. I can understand and relate to people stuck in that system. I can communicate on that level, and I love the people, I really do! It doesn't worry me where they are or what they believe, I just want to show people the love God has shown me.

But I HATE the traditional church, fundamentalist christianity, religion in all its forms, biblical literalism, bibliolatry, hypocrisy. I loath all the Israel rubbish, prophetic end times gibberish, glory gold dust and gems, healing crusades, worship gatherings... it all makes me want to vomit.

I'm done with it all. Its time to move on and be the real human/spirit that I am.
One with God.

I am.

5 comments:

  1. What have world vision been up to? BTW I have never supported them. I'll do a search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE the traditional church, fundamentalist christianity, religion in all its forms, biblical literalism, bibliolatry, hypocrisy. I loath all the Israel rubbish, prophetic end times gibberish, glory gold dust and gems, healing crusades, worship gatherings... it all makes me want to vomit.

    "I'm done with it all. Its time to move on and be the real human/spirit that I am.
    One with God.

    I am." Will I have to sat I am also, World Vision was lauded and loved yesterday as a beacon of HOPE and for doing the right thing. And as soon as they reversed and went back to their policy that has been in place right up to the day before.... The same crowd that shouted "Hosanna" yesterday are shouting "Crucify them" today. ..."Jerusalem....Jerusalem...how often I would have gathered you under my wing as a Mother hen gathers her chicks...but you WOULD NOT LISTEN...." and his heart was broken...my heart is also broken....broken for everyone involved.....Why with some does love have to be so conditional? World Vision is going through hell right now because they are unfortunate enough to be the public face of this debacle (manufactured battle cry of fundamentalism) of publicity. So I ask again why does love have to be so conditional?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. We feel as one, Jim. All I can manage when I hear or read some hyped-up super-christian bullshit is a wry snort of derision. I'm still "friends" with a few people from my old town/old church on FB and I just feel sorry for them. Yes they are doing some good in the world, yes they are lovely people, yes I'm amazed they haven't unfriended me and yes I think I know why. As they are thinking their life can be a witness to me of how great God is and how wonderful He's made their lives I am thinking the exact same thing. Yet I very probably look backslidden to them... and nothing could be further from the truth.
    The fact is that when we drain that bathtub of all its dirty, stinking water we find that the baby is dead. And we then know that it's time to bury it and just walk away never to look back. Because it's not our fault and there's nothing that can be done to change it.

    Melita G

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a fundraising drive that included atheist groups, and I was surprised they had all the same issues that fundamentalist Christians do. The atheist meetings had a set format to them as much as a church has a set liturgy. They had various factions and there was a lot of infighting and stubborn intransigence. The male leaders underpaid the female staff, the older people resented changes by the young, and one group was suing another group over an outreach business/bookstore that had failed due to the inability to agree on how to run it. I share this that you might recognize that ending "the church" won't end the problems you run into; it's a human thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Jerry! Human nature will do it every time no matter what the system or structures!

      I guess its the justification for those actions and abuses by scripture and doctrines, and hiding behind them.
      Its the level of hypocrisy that does it for me. The church is the one organisation that should be, if not free from it all, at least open to recognising and actively addressing it.

      Delete