Wednesday 5 February 2014

Gay in your face


Most of my friends accept my views on being gay, and those who don't seem to have just disappeared.

Thanks so much to all of you who relate, support, encourage, or even just attempt to understand in the spirit of love we are all part of.
But here's the next challenge:
What if I found a partner? What if I posted romantic pictures? How would you feel if I came round for dinner with a guy?

What I'm trying to say is its great to give verbal support, but when it becomes very "in your face", how does that make you feel? Would you be embarrassed? Feel awkward? Not know what to say?
Believe me, I know that feeling!

But that's where the rubber hits the road. I'm not condemning anyone or guilt tripping you, just the simple fact that at some point, if you are straight and support equal rights in every way for LGBT people, you will eventually actually meet these people (maybe friends who have come out) and have to relate one to one, personally.

I don't know how difficult it would be for many of my friends if I turned up on the doorstep with a "boyfriend", but it could happen.
How would you feel if it was one of your close friends? What if one of your friends said they wanted a gender reassignment (sex change)?

It pays to remember that the latest statistics say that at least 10% of the population is LGBT, and some studies claim up to 15% and more. The only thing that has changed is the silence. It won't go away, no matter how much scripture we throw around, no matter how dogmatic and moralistic we get, no matter what we think the bible says or how God feels about it all, the reality is staring us in the face - There are millions of LGBT people, and they cannot change, no matter what religion says - nor do they need to change!

Live loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment