Friday 8 February 2013

Cults and HIM

Cults are a touchy subject at the best of times.

Many would say a lot of mainstream churches are cults, others think in terms of strange New Age stuff, or dancing around fires with chickens and candles. But we have all seen the documentaries of communities with brain washed devotees gathered around their smiling leader.

But really, what is the core thing about a cult? Its not the doctrines or beliefs, as strange as they can be. They only serve to build a reference point for the real problem - the leader.

Most cults are built around a person who has the most damaging trait humans can suffer from - narcissism.

They use religious beliefs as the main tool to draw the right type of person into their sphere of influence, to feed the constant need of admiration, reliance and worship etc. They can then control people by the right balance of feeding their deep needs of insecurity with a sense of uniqueness. You become special, with the unique privilege of sharing in a new revelation, an outpouring of incredible significance that only you and the group have. You become the chosen and bear the burden of sharing this revelation knowing it will bring persecution, but persecution is confirmation that you are speaking the truth, so you will rejoice that people are speaking against you, and you are suffering for righteousness sake.

This was what brought my attention to HIM (His Image Ministries), run by George Maitland.

He has a small influence fortunately, but I've seen a few friends now hooked into it and feel its time to expose him. Among them are Dawn and Breck Rubin who are now intrinsic in the inner circle.

Like I said, I don't really care about doctrines - we are all entitled to believe what we want. But this cult uses control through shaming, belittling, and exclusivism. I have seen people noticeably change over the last year as they have become more involved (like the Rubins). They start to lose the ability to discuss rationally, and begin to quote isolated scripture out of context as if we should know what it means and then talk down to you because you don't "correctly divide the word" (this is their favourite expression).

But what has disturbed me is behind the scenes, emotional and verbal abuse, telling women that they should let their husbands be sexually violent to them to display Gods patient love, belittling his family (and in front of others), regularly/repetitively reading out letters of those who leave the group to enforce the dangers of leaving. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. Condescending, patronising, threatening - you name it. It is extremely unhealthy. I have spoken to people with first hand experience, and I have no reason to doubt their story.

So I know many of you will think I should mind my own business. But I'm willing to take the rap for being so open about this. There are thousands more like this - groups of people under the spell of a narcissistic leader, often in large churches and organisations, carefully controlling and manipulating people, people looking for strong leadership and direction, for a new revelation. They present a carefully constructed image of love, passion, wisdom, grace, truth, but are lost in the grips of narcissism and cannot even see what's going on.

Most people who end up hurt and disgusted with anything christian have been under the control of people like this, and I say that's enough. I'm taking a risk, I know, but ever since hearing about George Maitland, watching his FB/blog and website, and then talking in depth to people who know what goes on, it has only confirmed what I feared. I have been involved in similar things. I have seen the devastation. I recognise the signs. It makes me sick to see this happening, and I hope enough of us will have the courage to look deeply into things like this, to be brave enough to speak up, and even be brave enough to be wrong.

I will gladly apologise just as publicly if proved wrong - for anything I may say. But I will stand up for the abused and for the removal of abusers as I feel Jesus did. Its a complex enough journey as it is without becoming derailed by your local narcissist!

I will now run for cover!!

8 comments:

  1. HIs Image Ministries is the one of the most amazing life-changing ministries that has changed my life...If any on you want to check out WHY this ministry gets persecuted and misunderstood on a continual basis (as was PAUL)..come check us out..The accusations written in this letter is completely false....Marriages have been transformed in this ministry and continue to,DAILY.....Women are treated with the utmost respect...No one is encouraged to stay with a violent abusive person..so before anyone comes to conclusions..please check the facts..

    The most powerful Truth is surrounded by the most controversy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dawn. I have published your comment because I agree. People do need to look carefully at HIM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need to run for cover. I've noticed Dawn 'excommunicating' people who don't agree with her 'doctrines'. It's become quite obvious to a majority of us who have had interaction with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very glad to read this post, mate. I know how hard it was for you to write and publish. Keep on exposing these cults. They need it, and so do we so that we are informed and do not find ourselves unwittingly sucked in to groups like these. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jim. Obscure indeed.. had to google the name of the teacher and the ministry both to come up with a result. I'm something of an expert on cults... because I've belonged to so many. The last one we were sure wasn't a cult because it didn't have the charismatic controlling leader at the forefront. (Although some did exist in this genre of belief). We instead had joined the cult of idea.. of another gospel. You won't find Jesus at the heart of any Christian-based cult. He will be on board as a token passenger, but He won't be at the center, and His words will be used only when they conveniently support the alternate agenda.

    If half of what you describe here is true, there are very serious warnings and red flags. I know how hard it is to speak out against them (and I try to not speak of specific people or organizations because I hate to give them publicity - although I do once in awhile.)

    My first impression - the page I pulled up. Self-proclaimed and announcing his title, and asking for money in the next breath. Didn't need to read any further.

    I also hate splitting hairs over doctrines, but cults fracture relationships and cause people to be haughty and unloving. I know - because I was.

    God bless!
    8thday (a.k.a. fishy)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great article. I have experience engaging these folks. You are spot on. Especially here...

    "But this cult uses control through shaming, belittling, and exclusivism. I have seen people noticeably change over the last year as they have become more involved (like the Rubins). They start to lose the ability to discuss rationally, and begin to quote isolated scripture out of context as if we should know what it means and then talk down to you because you don't "correctly divide the word" (this is their favorite expression)."

    There also like to yell SOUND WORDS...SOUND WORDS...and reference those who do not agree with their "doctrine" as CARNAL MINDED

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the mark article coming from cultic past myself the best thing we can do is love them and pray for them. But we have duty to warn our brothers and sisters of dangerous of heretical doctrines so I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yowser! I went to George Maitland's FB page and read his entries for about five minutes. All I saw were scripture references from the OT. Not that the OT isn't useful to us now, but it's the old covenant.
    I'm afraid I'm skittish of anyone that references Glenn Beck so often.
    Grace, anyone?

    ReplyDelete