Tuesday 29 May 2012

Patriotic Eyes

I wrote this many years ago and, noticing it was Memorial Day in the US,  I dusted it off. Although we choose to remember the valour and brave actions of those lost and the heartbreak that brought to families, we should be more aware of the bigger picture and the reality of all those affected. Of course, I've never fought in a war, so may not be qualified to write this, but after all I have seen and read, and what my heart says, I think it stands.


And what of our future;
Glories of war, past and present,
Lies and myths float on the phosphorous clouds
Inhaled by Red, Yellow, Black...
We have fought with patriotic eyes, 
   As have they!
Who can see death without tears?
How many knew the reasons?
   Innocent, ignorant, martyrs.

A dawn's early mist drifts and carries fatigue, 
Echoes of shellfire - 
   Scarred earth - 
      A child's terror,
Nightmare vision and Godless chills
And prickling hackles
Making beds for propaganda - patronising, patriots,
   Fanatics.

At the setting of the sun
And in the morning
We will grieve them, 
Lest we remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment